Sunday, April 6, 2008

Indian Spice - Assam Black Tea


Of course after researching black teas, I was curious as to the origin of the Indian Spice (flavored black tea) I had the pleasure of drinking and reviewing yesterday. A cursory review of the Harney and Sons website revealed that my favorite tea is an Indian Assam tea.

Assam, is tea grown at sea level and is known for its body, briskness, malty flavor, and strong, bright color. Assam teas, or blends containing Assam, are often sold as "breakfast" teas. English Breakfast tea, Irish Breakfast tea, and Scottish Breakfast Tea are common generic names. Assam may not be a common word in your vocabulary, however English Breakfast tea and Irish Breakfast tea part my lips often. A point of reference when learning something new is always nice.

Historically, Assam is the second commercial tea production region after southern China. Southern China and Assam are the only two regions in the world with native tea plants. Assam tea revolutionized tea drinking habits in the 19th century since the tea, produced from a different variety of the tea plant, yielded a different kind of tea. My love for strong tea certainly makes me an Assam tea fan. I cannot wait until my next cup!
Happy tea drinking!




No comments: